Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Painting a Series Part 2

'Evening Light, Gower' Mixed Media

Continuing from yesterday the illustration above is Caswell Bay, Gower version 2. I have called the painting 'Evening Light. Gower' but it is based upon exactly the same reference material as was used for version 1.

I used Liquitex, Rembrandt and Winsor & Newton Acrylic paints together with Derwent pastels. Also used were acrylic matt medium and a small amount of white Gouache. Once again the paper support is Saunders Waterford 140lb Not.

The interpretation is somewhat looser in this version. I have not conformed exactly to the shapes of the cliffs and I have pushed them further back. The reason for this is because I wanted to accentuate the space together with the lighting, which prevailed during my visit to this bay.

I first went to The Gower in 1955 as a student of Geology. Since that time I have wanted to return to photograph and paint the sea, cliffs and beaches of this wonderful place.

On Friday i will present my third and so far final version of Caswell Bay.

Until then, take care and keep up with the experimentation.

Tony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home