Friday, August 25, 2006

Painting a Series - Part 3

'Storm Light, Gower' Acrylic

Above is the third and so far the final version of Caswell Bay, Gower. I have called this painting ‘Storm Light, Gower’.

This version is painted entirely in Acrylic paints and once again on Saunders Waterford 140lb paper. This time, however, the paper has already been used once before.

Not all paintings come up to standard, I so if I paint a watercolour, for example, which doesn’t quite come off I don't regard the painting as a failure just a step in the learning process! The paper isn’t wasted. I simply paint a layer of white acrylic gesso over everything and use this support to paint something in acrylic.

The version of Caswell Bay above is just such a painting, an acrylic painting done on top of a previous painting I wasn’t satisfied with. Here the acrylic paint has been used straight from the tube without much, if any, dilution.

Once again I have tried for an impression of space and made much of the sky. I was trying to produce a picture which emphasises the effects of the prevailing weather. It was windy and there were heavy showers at times.

When I had completed this painting I wasn’t too sure about it so I framed it and it is hanging in my downstairs hall. The longer I live with it the more I like it. It's a bit like looking at the flames in the fire; the more you look the more you see. So it is with this painting and I am still learning from it.

So that is it, my series of three paintings of Caswell Bay, Gower.

Until next week, take care and perhaps try painting your series.

Tony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home